Listen On Your Favorite Podcast Platform:
Welcome back to the Baseball Brilliance Podcast - hope you didn't miss us too much!
On today's episode, we launch Season 2 by giving you another dose of GFYF - the segment where Joe Torre gets to talk about whatever he wants, while Aaron does his best to translate and keep Joe from straying too far!
If you haven't already, definitely go listen to Episode 4 of Season 1 to hear the first GFYF episode and get a taste of what you can expect!
Today’s episode starts with Aaron welcoming you to Season 2 and giving you heads-up of where this episode is headed and provide some context for all upcoming episodes of Season 2 of Baseball Brilliance.
We then tune into the conversation, which jumps right into the current state of baseball (and the world) at the time of the recording - March 28th, 2020. That "state' is that most of the world was essentially on lockdown due to the Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19).
And this is where things get interesting, we cue Joe Torre, and Aaron drops to the background to let Joe do his thing.
Joe grabs the mic, and off he goes - Joe really wants to know, how are you handling the downtime? While making sure to remind you that he's always preached to his guys about being mindful of their hygiene, especially when traveling across the country, hanging out with large groups of guys, and coming in & out of locker rooms.
Joe then plays the hypothetical game with Aaron - taking Aaron down a scenario as if he was still playing and then asking him how he would handle everything going on right now?
This is when we then explore some classic Torre Style detours which include:
- Hitting statistics for the guys in Black Sox program over the last few months.
- Mentioning how nobody plays more games than his program (humble brag).
- Joe thinking Coronavirus was just a joke that meant someone drank too many Corona Beers the night before.
- Joe talking about how he use to tell the guys he trusts to continue the Black Sox Road Warrior Tour even if he passed away in a fiery car crash (not a joke, I’ve personally been present for one of these speeches).
- Dropping a story about pro ball coaches Chad Rhoades & Brian White sleeping on air mattresses during the Black Sox’s NWO League.
- A quick explanation behind the wrestling nicknames Joe likes to assign to people.
- Joe claiming the reason he likes hanging out with his co-host, Aaron Brill, is because "Brill knows things.”
- Living in 55+ community in South Florida but feeling like he’s 18 years old again.
- Taking ground balls with 17-Year MLB player Brandon Phillips.
- New age pitchers seem only to want to throw bullpens and can’t throw strikes.
- And, of course, the zombie apocalypse.
Joe eventually gets back to his point, wanting to know how Aaron would handle all of the unknowns floating around baseball if he was still pursuing his playing career.
After the windy road that is Joe’s stream of thought finally comes to a halt, Aaron does his best recap everything Joe just wen through - or as Aaron likes call it, being Joe’s Anger Translator.
Aaron goes on to say that Joe is essentially saying that these are unprecedented times. Some guys are going to come out of it being better, but some guys are going to end being worse off - so you better be sure your taking advantage of this time rather than complaining.
Aaron then wraps the show up with a reference something often stated by to one of his favorite authors, Ryan Holiday - the thing that seems to get in your way and block your path is not actually an obstacle in the way, The Obstacle Is The Way (also the title of one of Holiday’s books).
I hope you enjoyed this installment of the Baseball Brilliance Podcast, be sure to check out our next episode airing on Monday, June 29th, 2020 for our very first episode with a guest!
Our guest has been managing in professional baseball for over 25 years, so you’re definitely not going to want to miss the amazing insights uncovered in his Path Through Pro Ball (click the link to hear co-host, Aaron Brill's Path Through Pro Ball Episode in preparation).
Until then, we’ll catch you next time!
Links From The Show (in order by mention):
- Season 1, Episode 4 | Go Find Yourself (GFYF) feat. JOE TORRE
- The Black Sox Road Warrior Tour
- Chad Rhoades as a coach
- Brian White - Manager of the Florence Y'alls
- The Black Sox NWO League
- Brandon Phillips
- Author Ryan Holiday
- The Obstacle Is The Way by Ryan Holiday
- Season 1, Episode 2 | Path Through Pro Ball w/6 Year Professional Baseball Player & Founder of Baseball Brilliance - Aaron Brill
- Season 1, Episode 3 | Part 2 of Brill's Path Through Pro Ball
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe, leave a 5-star rating & review on whatever platform you use to listen to podcasts - this is the best way to help us grow!
Learn more about Baseball Brilliance
Connect with Baseball Brilliance:
Text Me! (561) 300-4814
Learn more about Joe Torre and the Black Sox
Connect with Joe Torre:
Text Me! (201) 707-6299
Don’t forget to subscribe and share, leave a 5-star rating/review!